Kochi - Queen of the Arabian sea
Kochi, also known as Cochin, has a unique place in the Kerala tourism map. Though there are many places that will excite the travelers, Kochi maintains a stature of its own. The uniqueness of the place lies in its heterogeneity. The tourist destinations in Kochi are very diverse and different. Hence a visit to Kochi is a complete package that is sure to satisfy everyone in the group from children, couples, youngsters to grandparents.
The nature and landscape of Kerala are inherently green and adorned with serene backwaters and sandy beaches. Kochi is no exception to this norm. Such places, rich in natural beauty, attract nature lovers from around the globe and fill them with great joy. There are many such places in Kochi.
The tourist destination is also a land with a rich culture and history. Kochi is home to many palaces, religious centers, and monuments that stood the test of time. Some of them are almost a millennium old. A history enthusiast cannot help but marvel at these places.
Kochi is an IT hub of Kerala with a huge IT park which houses international giants. Thousands of skilled IT professionals find their livelihood by working here. Many malls, restaurants, and places of recreation have developed in the location to keep them entertained. Hence Kochi has developed into a city with most modern facilities.
There is an amusement park which is one of the best of its kind in India. The prospects of a visit to the park will excite children of all ages. It will be exhilarating for the young and the middle-aged.
Best Time To Visit Kochi
Kochi is a location where you can wear your t-shirts year-round. But if you are not a fan of a humid climate, it is better to avoid the summer season. There are seasonal tour packages to Kochi with varying rates. The knowledge of the seasonal variation in the packages will help you to select the one best suited for you.
There are three main seasons in Kochi. They are:
- Winter (October- February): This may be the best season to visit Kochi. The climate will be cool and comfortable with the lowest temperature not below 16 degrees Celsius. The climate will be pleasant with rare short spells of rain. The downside is that the rate of tourism packages to Kochi at this time will be high.
- Summer (March-May): The summer can be quite hot and humid. The highest temperature sometimes hit the high thirties which can be quite draining. But the upside is that you can get a good discount on the package tours. If you are fine with the hot climate, this is the best time of the year to visit Kochi. Please make sure you carry sunscreen with you all the time.
- Monsoon (June – September): Monsoon in Kerala is a unique beauty. A visit to Kochi during this time will be a different experience for you. The heavy rain in the lush green land adds to the picturesque beauty of the place. Nature lovers would be excited to be in rain-drenched Kochi during this season. But remember to carry an umbrella with you as the downpour can be heavy and frequent.
How To Reach Kochi
One of the greatest boons of selecting Kochi as a tourist destination is that the tourist spot is very easy to reach. Be it via road, rail, or air the place is highly connected. Kochi also has a seaport that welcomes tourist ships from around the world. But you have to be filthy rich to get into one of them.
- By Road: National highways and state highways connect the metro city to nearby locations. NH 544 ( erstwhile NH 47) passes through Kochi and connects it to Salem and Kanyakumari. NH 66 (erstwhile NH 17) connects it to Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, and Goa.
- By Air: Just 25 kilometers to the north of the city is Cochin International Airport (CIAL). The busy terminal handles both domestic and international flights. Most major airline companies like Jet Airways, Emirates, Indian Airlines, and so on operate regular flights to the CIAL.
- By Rail: Kochi has many railway stations in its vicinity. You have to decide which part to go to and take a train that will stop at the respective station. But if you are coming from far off land Ernakulam Junction and Ernakulam Town are the stations that you should get down at to reach Kochi.