Now, Dalhousie is one of the most visited tourist attractions in India. Though the summer season is considered the best time to visit the land, it receives tourists during the snowy winter and humid monsoon season. Trekking, paragliding, and other such adventure opportunities make the place more fun for those who love some activity during their holiday.
The town was named after the British Governor-General, The Earl of Dalhousie. A summer retreat was established in the land during his tenure. The cool and pleasant climate of the place during the summer season may be the reason for this. Winters are chill, and it snows almost 20 to 30 days during the season. Many in the hot Indian subcontinent enjoy the snow and thus prefer to visit the destination during winter.
Located at an elevation of 1970 meters above sea level, Dalhousie offers some exquisite views to tourists. Places like Daikund peak, Khajjiar, and Panch Pulla enchant visitors with their serene beauty. St. John’s Church, constructed in 1863, is a monument that proclaims the colonial past of the land.
The most visited tourist destinations in Dalhousie are:
Top attractions in Dalhousie
Best Time To Visit Dalhousie
The best time to visit Dalhousie is from March to June, which marks the summer season in the tourist destination. The climate during this time will be pleasant and comfortable. Most tourist attractions are open during this time of the year. Hence this is the season that experiences the rush of tourists.
Nevertheless, there are several seasonal attractions and adventure activities in Dalhousie. The visit to the place is hence a personal preference. The different tourism opportunities of each season are as follows.
- Summer Season ( March to June): Dalhousie has the most visitors during the summer season. Because of the pleasant weather, this time of the year is best to be up and about in the destination. The temperature during this season falls between 18 to 29 degrees Celcius. All attractions are open at this time. Those interested can involve in adventure activities like rafting, paragliding, trekking, and so on. Hence Summer is considered the best time to visit Dalhousie.
- Monsoon (July to September): Monsoon season is mild in Dalhousie compared to other regions in India. But intermittent rains are to expected, though not heavy. The atmospheric temperature varies between 13 to 23 degrees. The major attraction during this time is the heavy flow of waterfalls. Most tourism activities remain open during this season. Make sure to carry an umbrella or a raincoat if you prefer to travel during the rainy season.
- Winter (October to February): Winters are quite cold in Dalhousie. Temperature sometimes falls below zero degrees Celcius during the night, even though the daytime temperature averages between 11 to 13 degrees. Snowfalls are common during this time, which adds charm to the destination.
The sight of snow capping the mountains and trees is enchanting. The season also provides a rare chance to play in the snow. But take care to pack thick winter clothes.
How To Reach Dalhousie
The scenic retreat that is Dalhousie is well connected with the different parts of the country. Tourists can reach the destination via rail, road, or airways. The mode of transport depends on the personal preference and availability of the services from the starting point.
- By Air: Gaggal airport is the closest to Dalhousie. Located at a distance of 130 kilometers from the tourist place, the airport has frequent flights to Delhi and Chandigarh. Tourists can hire a taxi cab from outside the airport. Bus services are also available for those who prefer a cheaper mode of transport.
- By Road: Roads leading to Dalhousie are well maintained and services are frequent. From Delhi, the destination is about 565 kilometers away through National Highway 1 and takes about 11 hours. Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) has frequent services that connect nearby places like Chamba, Amritsar, and Shimla to the destination.
- By Train: Pathankot railway station, located at a distance of about 80 kilometers from Dalhousie is the nearest. Most major cities like Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Delhi, and Jammu have direct services to the station. Taxi cabs from outside the railway station will take you to the destination in about 3 hours. Shared taxis are also available at a nominal rate.