Wayanad - The Green Paradise
Wayanad places to see are plenty as this nature blessed land connects Kerala with Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. The district comprises three attractive towns namely, Mananthavady, Kalpetta, and Sulthan Bathery. It is impossible to travel around Wayanad without proper planning. A better understanding and knowledge about the topography of Wayanad is inevitable to explore Wayanad to the fullest. All these towns have their attractions and all the towns are a bit far from each other.
Mananthavady has a special aura of rich wildlife and Thirunelli temple, things that make the place unique. Sulthan Bathery is known for its soothing climate and comfortable resorts. Kalpetta is a natural beauty that is famous for Pookot Lake and Banasura Sagar Dam. The stunning waterfalls, caves with carvings of the stone age, spice plantations, and wildlife make Wayanad, a perfect holiday destination.
Top attractions in Wayanad
Best Time To Visit Wayanad
Wayanad is known for its pleasant, cool, and unpolluted climate throughout the year. However, the best time to visit Wayanad is from October to May. It is advised to avoid Wayanad’s visit during Monsoon as landslides can occur.
- Summer (March-May): Wayanad is cool and pleasant during the summer season too. Unlike other parts of Kerala, Wayanad maintains a pleasant and comfortable climate even during the summer season. The temperature will not cross 30°C in summer, promising a comfortable stay.
- Monsoon (June-October): During Monsoon, Wayanad has a special beauty. With heavy waterfalls and greenery, the landscape becomes attractive. However, it is better to avoid Wayanad sightseeing during Monsoon.
- Winter (October- February): Winter is the perfect time to visit Wayanad. The climate is cool and relaxing, the surroundings are chilly and pleasant. The mountains and forests welcome visitors to this green paradise with a charm.
How To Reach Wayanad
Wayanad shares its borders with Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
- BY AIR: Calicut International Airport lies closer to Wayanad. Almost all domestic and international airlines operate from Calicut airport. Visitors can get down at the airport and take a taxi or state-run buses to Wayanad.
- BY RAIL: Wayanad is not connected by rail directly. The nearest railway station is Kozhikode (Calicut). Kozhikode is one of the major railway stations in India that has halted for almost all superfast express trains. From Kozhikode railway station visitors can hire a taxi or state-run buses.
- BY ROAD: Wayanad is connected to National and State Highways. There are State-run buses and private buses that run between Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka.