Kodaikanal - The Princess of Hill Stations
Located in the Dindigul district in the state of Tamilnadu, at the southern edge of Palani hills, the tourist location is dream-like land. It is one of the highest hill stations in South India at an elevation of 2000 meters above sea level. Kodaikanal means ‘the gift of the forest' in the local dialect. With dense greenery surrounding the paradise-like tourist destination, you will feel the name is apt.
The most attractive feature of the place is its refreshingly cool climate. The temperature remains moderate throughout the year with the average temperature ranging from 8 to 20 degrees Celsius. The rejuvenating climate prompted the missionaries and the British bureaucrats to set up a town here in 1845. Now, when people realized the stunning beauty of the hill station, it has developed into a buzzing tourist location. There are many activities like trekking, cycling, boating, swimming, and sightseeing in the place that will enthrall the tourists. You can find affordable homestays in Kodaikanal that are clean and spacious.
Top attractions in Kodaikanal
Best Time To Visit Kodaikanal
- The busiest tourist season in Kodaikanal is winter. The cool climate and pleasant weather attract tourists to this marvelous location. The refreshing climate of the place is incomparable during this time. Hence it is considered the best time to visit Kodaikanal. Most resorts in Kodaikanal will be filled during this season, so make sure you do advance booking.
- But if you do not prefer crowds, it is better to travel during the summer.
- It is not advisable to drop by the place during monsoon as the hill station is not very safe during this time of the year.
How To Reach Kodaikanal
Kodaikanal can be reached by air, train or road.
- By Air: The nearest airport, the Madurai International Airport is at a distance of 120 kilometers from Kodaikanal.
- By Road: Kodaikanal is connected to all prominent cities through road. The place is at a distance of 175 kilometers from Coimbatore, 160 from Kumily and 198 from Trichy. You can catch a bus or a cab and reach the place with ease. As the roads are well maintained, you may choose to drive yourself to the place.
- By Train: The nearest station, the Kodaikanal Road railway station, is at a distance of 100 kilometers from the tourist place. You may have to take a taxi cab to reach the hill station. The taxi rates from the station are not too cheap.